Kefalonia Churches and Byzantine Monuments

Castle of St George: In a hill above Argostoli is the castle of St George. It was named after the temple that was found inside it. The today's form of the castle is from the Venetian period 1500-1797AD. It was the administrative centre of Kefallonia until the transfer of the capital to Argostoli. The castle had 15000 inhabitants. It had an octagonal shape and a 1.6 square km area. The part of the walls that are preserved today reach in 15 meters height. IN its internal some remains of the buildings are preserved and some deserted houses with coat of arms.

Venetian Castle of Assos: it was built by the Venetians as complementary to the castle of St George in 1593-95 AD. It had an irregular shape and its internal had building blocks. Only ruins of the internal buildings can be seen today.

Temple of Evangelistria: It is located in a small distance from the castle of St George and it was built in 1580 AD and it was the metropolis of the castle as long as the castle was the administrative center. A wooden temple is preserved inside the church and some remarkable icons.

Monastery of St Gerasimos Omalon: It is a female monastery. The catholicon is built again in a basilica rhythm after the earthquakes of 1953. Today the monastery houses a small library.

Monastery of St Andreas Milapidias and Church – Byzantine Museum: The female monastery is located in Peratata that is distanced 10 km from Argostoli. It was founded in 1587 AD and today it gathers relics from the destroyed churches of 1953. Among the relics there is some embroidery of Byzantine times. The Byzantine – Church museum operates since 1988 in the old temple of the monastery. IN the big room at the right of the entrance the old temple of the monastery has been restored which has one of the biggest frescoes that has remained to the island. In the spaces of the temple many icons from other churches are housed. There are also excellent icons of the 17th century and other church relics.