Print this page

Paros General Information

paros-naousaParos is located at the heart of the complex of cyclades islands , west of naxos . It is the third largest island of thye cyclades. Capital of yje islands and central port is Parikia . The village of Naoussa is also very developeb in terms of tourism. The terrain of the island consists of mountains in the center and as we move to the shores the terrain is becoming of a lower height. The area of the island total 195 square km and the coastal length is 118 km.Paros is sourounted by small islands . The most important of those is Antiparos which is a mile away. Antiparos area is 38 square km, it consists of a beautiful coast , a cave and traditional settlements.

The ancient greek tradition reports a significant relation with Minoan Crete. The archeological finding do not confirm that. During the first millennium Arcades were settled and then Ionians, during the 8th Century some uprisers were diaplaced in Thassos and founted a colony there 680m BC. Paros flourished during the 7th century and had a conflict with Naxos that lasted for years. During the first war expedition of Persians agains Greece the Aristocrats which governed the island jointed forces with the Persians. paros-millThe Athenians after the victory of the battle of Marathon organized a war expedition to punish them , the expedition failed but Themistocles managed to extinquise the Aristocrats and Paros became a part of the first Athenian Alliance. The island was conquered afterwards by the Macedonians , Ptolemetians , and romans. It became a part of eastern Roman Empire after the separation of the empire. In 1204 the franks and Venetians conquered the island. In 1416 it was sucked by the Turks and in 1537 the pirate Barbarosa claimed it as part of the Ottoman Empire . Piretes usually used the ports of the island for attacks and that was a reason that the island was threated the hard way by the Ottoman empire . During the Russian – Turkish wars it was used by the Russians. The Russians took stalactites from the cave of Antiparos and these stalactites are now in the ermitage museum. In 1830 the island became a part of the new-formed Greek State.


Προβολή Paros Island σε χάρτη μεγαλύτερου μεγέθους