The island of Naxos is the biggest island among the cyclades complex of islands. It is also the tenth in size covering an area of 428 square kilometers. It is 10 nautical miles away from Ios and 14 nautical miles away from Mykonos. The distance of Naxos port from the port of Pireaus is 103 nautical miles.
The capital of Naxos is called Chora or Naxos. Naxos is egg shaped, the maximum length of the island is 32 km and the maximum width is 24 km. There are plenty of beaches in Naxos, the best are Saint Anna (Agia Anna) and Saint Prokopios (Agios Prokopios).
The island is inhabited since 4000 BC. During the Mycenaean period the life center was towards the North West side of the island where today’s chora is situated. Naxos was colonized during the first millennium by Ions and it founded a colony in Cicely.
During the 5th century BC it became a part of the Athenian Alliance, it was for a while part of the Spartan Hegemony but afterwards it joined the second Athenian Alliance.
During the Byzantine period Naxos belonged to the Byzantine theme of Aegean. In 1207 AD the catholic diocese was founded and the island was conquered by Venice and became a part of the duchy of the Aegean. The new rulers built a castle in the hill a distributed the best land property to the aristocrats. In 1566 the island was conquered by the Turks. In 1769 AD it was taken by Russians and then recaptured by the Turks again in 1774 AD. The island was finally liberated by the Turks and joined the newly formed Hellenic State. In 1945 AD in World War 2 the Italians occupied the island whilst in 1943 it was taken by the Germans. In 1944 the island was liberated.