Churches of Mykonos

Panagia Paraportiani: it is one of the finest speciments of Cycladic architecture and it is located in the castle of Chora. It was built in the period from the 15th to the 17th century AD. It is a complex of 5 temples that communicate internally, the four comprise the base and the last is on the top. The temples in the base are dedicated to the St Efstathios, Saints Anargyroi, St Sozon ans St Anastasia. The temple at the top ois dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The temple owes its name due to its location besides the gate of the castle. (Paraportiani means next to the door).

Monastery of Panagia Tourliani: it is located in the settlement of Ano Mera. It was founded in 1592 AD by two monks of Paros. Its todays form, a characteristic speciment of islander architecture is dated to 1767. There are some interesting speciments of sculpturing in the yard fountain and to the bell room of the monastery which was built in 1807 AD.