Heraklion Churches and Byzantine Monuments

The Churches and Byzantine monuments of Heraklion are the following:
The walls of Heraklion: The two historical name of the town of Heraklion are Handakas and Kastro and are both thanks to the walls and the pit that surrounded the town. The walls are one of the most representative specimens of Venetian fortification during the 16-17th century of the best architects of Venice. The town is surrounded by 7 km walls as well as a pit (which is embanked today). The pit of Handakas due to its great depth was an effective obstacle for the enemies. In the enclosed perimeter of the walls a medieval city with alleys like mazes was developed.

Lotzia Building: It is in the town square and it is declared the most preserved building of Europe, today it houses municipal services, it was built during the 14th century.

Morozini fountain: The Venetians solved the problem of the shortage of water in Handakas by building an aqueduct. The aqueduct had a length of 15 km and transferred the water of several springs inside the city and in to the fountain. The water runs from the mouth of 4 lions that are placed in a pedestal inside a marble basin.

Temple of St. Mark: After the conquest of Crete this temple was built in honor of the protector of the city. Today it houses municipal exhibitions.

Temple of St.Titos: It is considered to be a protector of Crete. The transfer of the seat of the Diocese from Venice to Handakas resulted in the transfer of the holy head of the Saint in Handakas. In 961 AD after the Turks conquered the island the Venetians took it again and it was returned in 1966.

Temple of St Titos of Gortyna: St. Titos was a studend of Apostle Paul that lived in the region and in his honor a temple was built. The temple is one of the most important Christian monuments of the island. It is one of the biggest basilicas in the country.

Monastery of St John Theologos: it was founded durind the Venetian period. In the 19th century it was used as a school.

Monastery of St Panteleimon Odele: it was founded during the Venetian period in the 16th century. In 1824 it was destroyed and in 1866 it was converted to a hospital.

Monastery of Alezanon: it is in a highland with view to the Libyan sea and it is dedicated to St Antony. It is one of the wealthiest monasteries in religious relics.

Monastery of Epanosifi: it houses the biggest number of monks whilst it has on of the richest sacristy.