The chania prefecture occupies the west edge of Crete. Mountains, gorges, caves, highlands and marvelous beaches all constitute the prefecture. The element that dominates is Lefka Ori (White Mountains) with the famous Samaria gorge, which in its largest area constitutes the national park of Samaria. The town of Chania is distinctively separated in two parts the old town and the new town. The old town lies inside the Venetian walls and gathers the most sight of attraction that has a traditional character. There are maze alleys surrounded by multi-store medieval buildings.
The oldest presence of human activity is dated in the Early Neolithic times. The Kydonia town lies in Kastelli hill of the today’s town of Chania. During the colonization of Crete by Arcadia in the Post Minoan period (16-11 century BC) there was communication with Peloponnesus and there was fertile ground for the development of the west part of Crete. In the 15-12 century AD it was the crossroad of an overseas commercial network that had been cut out with the coming of the Dorians (1100 BC). As the time passed 41 towns were built in the Chania prefecture. In 100 BC it was conquered by Romans. The inhabitants during the Byzantine period became Christians (330-825 AD).In 824 AD the area was taken by Arabs until 961 AD. After that there was the second Byzantine period (961-1204AD). IN 1204 the area passed in to the hands of the doge of Venice, the new inhabitant’s rebuilted the old town of Kydonia which was then named Chania and fortified it. In 1212-1520 AD there were many uprisings. There was a debate of Venetians with Turks which lasted many years until 1645 AD when the Turks occupied the island. IN 1770 AD the revolution of Daskalogiannis failed its center was Sfakia and it is recorded in history as the Orlof revolution. In 1821 AD assassinations of Priests followed the declaration of the revolution. In 1830 the independence of the Greek state was recognized and in 1897 AD Crete was united with Greece in a form of autonomy at first as The Cretan State and later on 1 Dec 1913 it was totally united with Greece.