Concerning Chania churches and Byzantine monuments and monasteries the following are recommented
Fort of Itzedin: It is located near the ruins of the ancient town of Altera, the fortress was built in 1870 from the Prince Itzedin, first born son of the Sultan Avroul Haziz. It had 12 firearms croup type and facilities in order to accept a large number of soldiers. After 1898 it was transformed to a jail from the Cretan state and remained a jail since.
Frangokastello: it is located 11 km south east of the capital of Sfakia next to the modern settlement. Its whole area is 1 square kilometer and it was built in 1371. Above the gate some anaglyphs are preserved that show crowns and the badge of Venice.
Paleochora Fort: Only the yard and some ruins of buildings are preserved. It was built in 1278-82 from the Venetian Commander of Crete. It was taken by Barbarossa (famous pirate) who destroyed it in 1539 but it was rebuilt in 1595. It was that time when it was enriched with military residencies and a temple.
Fort of Gramvousa: It was built by Venetians in 1584 BC. It has three asymmetrical sides and its forth side is the rocks. The temple of Evangelizing Lady is saved and some foundations of barracks in its yard.
Byzantine wall of Chania: The Byzantine wall that surrounds the Hill of Kastelli is built upon the ruins of a greek fortification that was there before. It has a non geometrical shape and is consisted of ruins.
Monastery of the Holy Trinity of the Tzagarolon: It is a male monastery near the cape near Chania which was named after the name of the people who built it that came from an orthodox family of Venetians. The building started in 1612 BC. It has a wooden gilded screen. It was burned during the revolution but it was renovated later. It has a library with rare books and attracts a large number of visitors.
Monastery of Gouvernetos: It is located north east of the Cape of Melecha. It was founded in the 6-7th century. The monastery is equipped with a library, a collection of manuscripts, codes, post-Byzantine icons of the Cretan school of icons as well as sacred vessels and relics.
Monastery of Chrysoskalitissa: It is a female monastery. It can be accessed with a ladder of 90 steps. The year of building is unknown but the main temple was painted with frescoes and icons in 1894. The monastery holds a very sacred icon of Virgin Mary that is a holy pilgrimage for the faithful.
Monastery of Miracle Virgin: It lies in the town of Chania and it was built in 1615 AD for the nuns of the Dominican Order. A part of the main temple is saved as well as some nun cells.
Salvatore Monastery: In the town of Chania, built from St. Francis monks in three phases. The first was in the 15th century AD, today it houses the collection of Byzantine and Post- Byzantine antiquities of Chania. It includes mosaics, inscriptions, icons, sculptures, all placed in chronological order.
The Three Marters Metropolis of Chania: The name three-marters is because the central part is dedicated to the presentation of the Virgin and the two side parts to the three hierarchachs and to Saint Nicholas.
Temples in Splantzia quarter: In the historical quarter of the town of Chania there is a temple of Saint Nicholas dated in 1320 AD of the Dominican Order. In the same quarter a church of the 16th century AD is dedicated to Saint Catherine and to Saint John the hermit. Also there is a temple of Saint Rokkos the protector of the plaque.
Temple of Michael Archangel: It is speculated that it was built in the second half of the sixth century. There are consecutive layers of frescoes, the first layer of frescoes is of the 6th century AD, the second layer of frescoes is of the 9th century AD and the third layer is of the 12th century AD and the forth layer of frescoes is believed to have been painted from Michael Veneris.
Catholic Church of Chania: It is the cathedral of the Catholic diocese of Crete. It is built at the position of a former monastery of the 16th century. The building of the new monastery was renovated in 1842 and expanded in 1860 whilst the temple is dedicated to the Virgin is renovated to 1879 AD.